Unread 03/07/2018, 04:44 AM   #12
ramseynb
Registered Member

New to the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Mandarin will starve in a 10g.

+1

10g is WAY too small. I would say 60g+ with a nice sized refugium to keep up the pod supply.

On the light, why are you wanting 6700k? That’s very much in the red spectrum and likely to grow a lot of algae (would be good for a fuge) but most people would choose a spectrum between 14-20k with a few liking 12k. I have my LEDs cycle from 20k all the way to 12k (high noon) then back to 20k before night time. I like to see the colors change throughout the day, but corals don’t look their greatest under 12k. 6700 is going to make them look very drab (and possibly not provide them enough from the blue end of the spectrum).

EDIT: You would likely be better off with a cheap “Chinese black box” LED light for coral off of eBay or Amazon. Do a search on the forum for them. Also, you could probably find a used Kessil or Aqauillumination light that would allow you to keep any coral or clam. I wouldn’t waste my money on the Marineland freshwater fixture, unless you want a lot of hair algae and drab colors.

Ten tickles!

Last edited by ramseynb; 03/07/2018 at 04:50 AM.
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote