View Single Post
Unread 06/14/2008, 01:42 AM   #1
xtm
Registered Member

DIY Wavebox Tutorial from start to finish!

sup fellow RC'ers

I see a lot of threads discussing and planning DIY wavebox projects but for some reason, most of them never came to fruition. In this chapter, we will discuss and learn how to build a wavebox. We will go through the construction pics, the materials needed, and you will even learn how to build your own controller! By the end of this class, each of you will each have your own, fully functional wavebox! So pull out your pen and paper and let's get started!

Before we begin, I like to show you exactly what we are trying to achieve. This is my completed DIY wavebox in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1duSSdjRb4

This whole project will cost about $220, give or take. The 'box costs around $565 USD brand new so it's up to you if it's worth the saving. Like the saying goes: "Why buy when you can D.I.Y.?"

Here's the parts breakdown:

Tunze 6100 - $200 used. Go to the For Sale forum.. they're all over the place.
Electronics - $5.00 MAX
Acrylic, Weld-On, etc.. $15.00
Total = ~$220.00 give or take a few bucks

==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--

OK so let's build the wavebox itself FIRST and deal with the controller later on. So let's start with the parts list. You will need:

-An acrylic sheet. I can't remember the exact thickness but I think it's something along the lines of 0.38" thick.. ok it's thick enough so that you can firmly glue the edges. You will need to fabricate a box that is 5"x4.5"x11", so get whatever acrylic size you can get, as long as you have enough to cover these dimensions.

- A dremel, or any cutting tool for acrylic

- Weld-On #16, to glue the acrylic

- A controllable Tunze Stream pump (6055, 6100, 6101, 6200, etc)
(note: you can NOT use a non-DC stream pump! e.g. 6060, 6025, 6080, etc. They have brakes that can wear down and kill the pump!) The stronger the pump, the more water it will displace and the bigger the wave! If you use the 6055, you can have a wavebox for your nano, even before the wavebox nano even come out

Ok so first let's fabricate the wavebox itself. I cut 5x sheets and glued them as per the original wavebox dimensions (5"x4.5" x11")

I laid out the stream to make sure I have enough space..

Next, I drilled a hole for the mouth of the stream pump so that it sticks out. The stream is being held in place by the "hole" and make sure that it is snug enough so it won't move. The stream is dropped from the top of the box, so make sure you provide enough leeway to maneuver the stream once it enters the box.

As you can see, I suck at everything.. can't glue stuff, can't draw a circle either

Another shot

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote