View Single Post
Unread 04/30/2014, 05:42 PM   #207
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
Jedi, are your dinos really as red as they appear in your pictures, or is that just a visual effect from the lights or camera? And did you have Pants ID them for you?
I've attempted to remove as much red from the pictures as possible, but I'm not too proficient in Lightroom just yet, so they're the best I can do at this point. They are your typical 'brown snot'.

I was actually planning on sending a sample today since I took today off work, but last night I dumped in ~60mL of peroxide into the 10g tank after the lights went off to kill the hair algae that was taking over, and apparently it hampered their growth today, even now I can't see any dinos growing, they'll come back in a day or two though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmotron View Post
I just discovered something that is interesting. Since I have never heard this before in relation to dinos I thought I would pass it along.

Today I added about 15 lbs of pink somoa sand (not live) sand to my refugium. I was curious if there was any particular reason the dinos weren't growing much in my refugium and so thought to recreate the environment of the aquarium above. My refugium never had any substrate. Just caulerpa.

Within 4 hours, dino populations exploded. And I mean exploded. Dinos rose to much larger than normal heights in their usual spots and started covering all the rocks. The substrate began literally bubbling as new dinos formed (even in tank areas where I did not add sand).

(and yes, these are not diatoms -- as you might expect from the addition of sand -- although I wonder if there are both present)
Possibly it had more surface area and a rougher surface to latch on to.

jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote