View Single Post
Unread 10/30/2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I think you're interested in using a plenum or a deep sand bed, from what I understand. There's no need to feed calcium acetate to run a substrate for denitrification. I would use normal sand, because light shining through the substrate will encourage photosynthesis, which will add oxygen. "Aerobic anoxic" is a bit of a contradiction, since aerobic metabolism refers to the consumption of oxygen. Photosynthetic organisms produce oxygen, and they will grow given light and nutrients.

Setting ozone to a specific ORP can be quite dangerous, as tanks vary in the ORP levels naturally. What is the purpose of the ozone? If it's being used to break down organics, I would set the controller for it to a bit above the level seen without ozone, and work from there.
I think the OP was talking about anoxygenic photosynthesis, like the types of photosynthesis done by purple sulfur bacteria, purple non-sulfur bacteria and heliobacteria.

But I agree with you that it would not be practical to cultivate these bacteria in an regular aquarium setting. They need to be on top of the sand bed and still need to be under anoxic conditions. So you need to deoxygenate the water going into their "environment" and reoxygenate the water going back into that tank from there (so to not suffocate the tank). Maybe effluent from a deep sand bed reactor can be used for deoxygenated water and it can be oxygenated afterwards using the skimmer. But still it would cause a "swampy" odor , since most of them oxidize either sulfur or ,to some lesser extend, methane, H2 or iron containing compounds.

On top of that these organisms either live in deep water with poor agitation or in surface of thermal water. For deep water ones,optimum light wavelength for photosynthesis is different from regular photosynthesis and the ones living in shallow water are thermophilic.

Last edited by Tripod1404; 10/30/2017 at 03:05 PM.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote