View Single Post
Unread 07/02/2009, 02:21 PM   #14
DFS
RC Sponsor

Michael,
Sorry for the delay, multitasking today that’s for sure. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the miscommunication on the Candy Basslet availability. Early last month we had one fish left, but shortly thereafter I received a telephone call with the good news another batch was going to be available.

I actually tried to pair up the exact fish you received today, but had not luck as all of the fish in this last batch were larger, and there was almost no variation in size among all of them. With some patience and diligence along with very close observation, their distaste for the same sexed fish is noticeable in a very short period of time. The pairs that I have successfully bonded, showed little to no posturing or aggressive behavior towards one another at all, and in a very short period of time took a liking to one another.

Male Liopropoma carmabi appear to grow larger than female, and are more sleek and elongated than the shorter, stockier females from what I have observed. I firmly believe these fishes are hermaphroditic, and have the ability to change sex as they mature from juveniles to adults. The only time I have been fortunate enough to successfully bond these fishes is when a batch arrived with a few specimens that were much smaller than the others.

I have successfully bonded a total of three pairs, the first of which are residing in my office nano aquarium. I am happy to report this initial pair has been together in a 14 gallon nano for almost 5 months now, and in my opinion, they are ideally suited for this type of display. Both fish are out in the open more often than not, and within the last week, are now courting one another! The fish are altering their coloration during the display, posturing, and rubbing their operculums together while they are side by side. This behavior is most prevalent late in the day/during the evening, and I am very confident they would successfully spawn if I could provide them with a taller aquarium. Liopropoma spp. require height like all pelagic spawning fish, as they need some room to ascend to the surface to successfully spawn.

This is incredibly fascinating behavior from a species of fish that even the scientific community knows very little about due to their reclusive nature and deep water habitat where they reside is a sight to behold.

I will continue the quest and my efforts with this gorgeous species, in order to try and do my part to make a contribution to this incredible hobby that we all learn from and enjoy so much.

Regards,

Current Tank Info: Too many to list