View Single Post
Unread 02/24/2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Vendetta82
Registered Member

Pod replenishing

Hi, I have a 75 gallon with 72lbs live rock. Just cycled, no fish yet. I really want a to get a mandarin eventually. I have been looking at cultivating pods for it and I'm trying to plan out an aesthetically pleasing method of replenishing the tank (I don't have a sump to use as a refugium and I don't really like the HOB refugiums either so I'lll go the separate cultivating container route). My issue is that I find that the plastic pod condos stuffed with chaeto are ugly, and the live rock rubble inside a DIY gutter guard holder seems practical but it's also ugly in the DT. I see people saying they just hide it behind a bigger pile of live rock which I wouldn't mind but doesn't that mean I wouldn't see my mandarin much either? Wouldn't he just hover around the pod condo all the time? I'm wondering what the actual purpose of the gutter guard is. Does it help keep the pods from getting eaten too quickly or does it just serve to hold the rubble? Could I just swap a nice chunk of live rock without gutter guard back and forth from cultivation tank to the display instead?

Current Tank Info: 75G mixed reef
Vendetta82 is offline   Reply With Quote