View Single Post
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:44 PM   #18
chunders
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Do not use GFO unless you have a real phosphate problem.. Doing so blindly is a big mistake..

Do not mess with your ph.. I have zero faith that you can measure it accurately so all I will say is stop looking at ph.. Do not add a ph buffer either..
Let ph be what its going to be..

Corals need stable/proper water parameters and you don't seem to be aware of how to achieve that so I would suggest spending time learning more
Start here..
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

If you have been using GFO and carbon dosing then its very possible that you have stripped much of the phosphate from the water and as such would have growth problems as both nitrates and phosphates are nutrients necessary for proper growth.
Its like fertilizer for your grass.. Too much and you burn out the grass.. Too little and it grows weak/slow/full of weeds..

Its also not a good idea to dose anything or use products intended to alter something without knowing your current levels and how that product is effecting them..
aka don't dose what you can't test for.. With weekly water changes its highly unlikely that a trace element liquid is necessary.. Your new saltwater will replenish all the trace elements needed..
Thank you for the article, will review.

I think if I could dose and not water change that would be great. I was doign that, but about a month ago I introduced the water changes. 20%.

The tank again was running 16 months now.

chunders is offline   Reply With Quote