View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2017, 07:30 PM   #16
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsonly View Post
2 150's on a 72 inch tank? That's MORE than enough flow even for an SPS dominated tank. What makes you think you need more flow? How do the corals look? If you're looking for a tsunami inside the tank you're not going to get it with gyres. They are the kings of indirect flow and in my mind that's what makes them superior to vortech. I just wish they had a fraction of the durability and ease of cleaning the vortechs do.

My 96x30x24 has an MP60 on one side and a gyre 150 on the other. SPS near the gyre are amazing with great PE...sps on the MP60 have peeling flesh in areas facing the powerhead.

I am willing to bet you have more than enough flow.
I like the gyres indirect flow. The second "wave" coming back from hitting the glass is ideal IMO, as it passes through corals in a gentle, more natural way.

I have now MP40qd's and agree MP's work well, but to get flow across the other side of the tank, there better not be corals on the way or theyll get blasted.

I plan on two XF250's alternating on a 5' long tank, with two mp40's pushing water near the top from the back to the front glass.
I also really like the fact the gyres allow for flow near the surface, for great agitation and oxigen exchange.