View Single Post
Unread 01/20/2018, 01:25 PM   #3172
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Hey taricha!

Nitrogen and Potassium: Potassium Nitrate, aka stump remover. I was using ammonia before dino outbreak. Now back to potassium nitrate.

Phosphorus: fish food I feed the tank. I experimented with a high phosphate plant tab, since seagrasses prefer root uptake of phosphate. I saw no benefit. I may experiment further, with another phosphate source.

Iron: I've tried a couple of the common bottled iron supplements for aquariums. They both worked well.

Iodine: I occasionally dose a common iodine supplement for aquariums. I'm wary of it because it can easily be overdosed, and I'm not sure how important it is to my plants.

I also dose magnesium occasionally, and a trace element supplement. For the sponges, I dose sodium silicate and feed phytoplankton.
Michael,
For cryptic sponges, you could dose vinegar as a carbon source. Sponges would get it before bacteria. At one time, I did dose vinegar thinking that I was promoting macro growth. Instead, I disproportionally grew cryptic sponges. For us that grow macro, cryptic sponges are the way to go.

Algae produce DOC, cryptic sponge eats DOC and gives off DIC and Marine Snow, both food for coral. The loop feeds itself, just as in nature.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote