View Single Post
Unread 12/27/2017, 05:42 PM   #51
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
Although off topic for the OP, I agree and this has been my approach. Although I still have them (the small, needle sharp species), their numbers dwindled from thousands to probably only a handful of web-slingers. I removed and replaced half of the rock and I have yet to see any new vermatids colonise it.

I feed three times a day with pellet on an autofeeder and supplement with frozen. I have not used coral food for a long time, which is not going to suit everyone TBH.

Although ReefKeeper is correct, Chloroquine will kill vermatids and other snails, it will kill ALL invertebrates and will likely cause severe ammonia spikes and die off. I would only use this with EXTREME caution. It is certainly NOT a reef safe option.
Compared to other options it makes sense for some but not all. I have done this successfully without issue. If you have a strong filtration system, I would imagine that others can can do this same treatment without having an ammonia spike. CP is also run in display tanks in the retail fish and coral industry. I'm speaking from experience here.

To be fair, this isn't a reef treatment, its a fish only treatment. That means removing all corals and inverts and placing them in a QT tank. The DT becomes a temporary fish only tank. Gradually start the treatment and phase it in over a couple of weeks. Snail and worm die off will occur as desired. If you get an ammonia reading, dose amquil and aerate your tank well. The CP breaks down over time (weeks, not months). amquil and CP are safe together. Again, I've been down this path and tested to be sure. You can remove the CP when ready using carbon and water changes. Add a sacrificial snail to test and when the snail lives you know you are in the clear. Considering the alternatives, this was the best treatment for my situation. It was easy and effective so perhaps this method may help another hobbyist.