View Single Post
Unread 05/09/2009, 11:38 AM   #18
RicksReefs
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
I thought I had read something regarding ChemiClean being an oxidizer.

"Chemi Clean removes disease causing red cyano bacteria (red slime) from live coral,and oxidizes trapped organic sludge and sediment.
I believe that's from increased redox potential.

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
Rick,

The cause of cyano appearing in a reef aquarium and trying to eliminate this cause, is virtually impossible IMHO.

Trying to prevent cyanobacteria from entering in your system from all the things that are added after set-up is impossible.

Cyano live quite happily in our system and require very little to survive. You can't knock cyano out by reducing phosphate & nitrate or even turning the lights off for a while.

How would you go about eliminating the cause of cyano?

I agree it's impossible to eliminate it's introduction. it's present in rock and corals, and it's likely spores go airborn too.

I disagree that limiting nitrates and phosphates won't limit the growth of cyano (all other factors accounted for). especially phosphate.

I use NSW, change bulbs regularly (my cyano growth is currently limited to tanks with very old or low spectrum bulbs), keep my top three chems in line (calc/alk/mag), provide decent flow, lotsa rock for a 0 nitrate reading, and limiting the phosphates I introduce.

I don't personally use any phosphate media, just carbon, on my system. almost all the tanks share the same water, just different lights.

RicksReefs is offline   Reply With Quote