View Single Post
Unread 12/22/2009, 07:06 PM   #114
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp View Post
That's a stunning design, well done. Execution is flawless.
One thing concerns me though, the dry pipe that you have the wiring running through. Are you concerned that water could get in there? I'm nervous about salt water and electricity. I prefer to keep all electrical outlets etc exterior of the stand, but that's just me.

Also, speaking from experience, you will get a lot of light spill from that pendant. It doesn't bother some people but when I had an open top, square tank with a pendant it did start to bother me. Your house looks really nice, and warm. The 'cool' lighting from that pendant will change the ambiance for lack of a better word, from warm (incandescents, halogens, whatever you have) to cool, blue light. Again, it doesn't bother some people but to me, I prefer warm light in my living space.

It's totally beautiful though in any case and you've incorporated the design into your home very appropriately. Well done!
Thanks for the comments!
It was definitely important for the tank to match the rest of the house so I'm glad you and others have picked up on that.

1. The dry pipe is even with the top edge of the tank. If the water gets that high (with my plumbing set up there is a nearly zero chance of that happening) the water will be flowing over the edge of the tank and onto the floor. At that point I have bigger problems. All I have to do is slip a 45 degree elbow under that bulkhead and any water that flows down the pipe would be directed into the sump, but due to what i mentioned above i haven't bothered yet. Probably will though. I also the electrical cords come out into the stand, drop down a bit, than go back up to the ballasts which are hung at the very top of the stand. So any water that drips down would never make it to the ballasts.
If I had a fish room or basement, I would definitely pull all electrical out of the stand, but in this case I don't have a choice. But have thought carefully about how to make it as safe as possible.

2. Being a 24" fixture over a 36" tank, there really isn't much spill. Even if the tank had a canopy, there is still so much blue-ish light being projected out of 4 sides of the tank that the room is going to be blue when the room lights aren't on. Plus with the rest of the house being yellow, it's nice to walk in and see some cool blue tones surrounding the tank. It's refreshing.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote