View Single Post
Unread 09/28/2016, 02:30 PM   #20
ssick92
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubbs View Post
I'll defenitely get that inTank basket, I watched a tutorial video on it and it looks nice. I haven't really done much research into the different filtration media. I'll have to look into the chemi pure and purigen.

I've seen mixed reviews on the substrate in terms of color. I'm trying to decide between your typical white/pink color or the black. A lot of people say the black gets dirty too easy but also makes the corals pop.

I'll have to see what I can find in terms of nice live rock shapes at the LFS store when it comes time for that. Or maybe I can find some that are larger that look like I could break down into smaller pieces that would work for some nice aquascaping.

I'm still debating on the powerhead, it just seems like a lot of $$ to drop. Maybe I will go lower priced for now and upgrade down the road like I do with my computer.

One thing I noticed after browsing your tank post ssick92 is that you are using an auto-top off. I hadn't even thought about that. I haven't had a smaller tank before and I never needed one. Is the evaporation really high on your tank?
Just saw this...

But yes IMO an auto top off system is an absolute MUST for a tank this small. Salinity swings are magnified in such small tanks because there isn't a ton of water to begin with, and as water evaporates the salinity rises quickly. With larger tanks it takes more evaporation to have the same effect so it might not be as critical.

I use the Tunze Osmolator Nano -- there are some cheaper alternatives but Tunze is known as one of the best. In my previous tanks I used the JBJ ATO system with an aqualifter for the pump. Worked well enough but was going to take up too much room in my small stand.

I use a 1 gallon cereal container for my ATO reservoir as well, and it needs to be refilled about weekly.

IM Nuvo 10g Mixed Reef Nano | Kessil A160we | Mp10QD | Osmolator Nano
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote