View Single Post
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:15 PM   #9
Dria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Looks good. I have heard great things about Tampa Bay for rock and sand - how much did you order for this set up? By the way, that brown paper seems to be a new addition - I definitely didn't need to wrestle with it. I had other issues (like a slow leak between front and back compartments) but it turned out not to matter as long as the pumps are running. I covered it in my thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2512216

Looking forward to following your build. Good luck!
I wrestled between using live rock and dry for a couple of weeks. Lots of pros and cons to both. In the end it just made more sense to me that having all the parts of the ecosystem would be a better way to start. People spend so much time culturing this and dosing that to get microfauna to grow in our tanks and this just seemed like an easier way to kick it all off. Plus it's kind of exciting to me that I don't know what I'll find in there!

I ordered the 30 gallon package (based on the measurements of the display area and a volume calculator it came up just over 30g) which comes with 30lbs sand and 60lbs rock. I think that's probably too much rock but it gives me some flexibility with my aquascape and I can always throw some of the extra in the sump until I get my fuge going. Getting my first delivery tomorrow so there should be some exciting pictures then!

The seal between the front and back on mine seems solid. For my leak test I filled only the display not quite up to the overflows and ended up with no water in the sump at all.

Looking forward to finally getting this tank wet. I've been making RO water all day and will do my first saltwater mix tonight. Exciting times!