View Single Post
Unread 11/25/2014, 09:13 PM   #43
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
don't get caught up in the madness.. it drives you crazy when corals start to die and it is then when you make desperation moves, but really, by the time a coral is rtning, the damage is more often than not already done, I'm my experience..
what is your p? i had mine over .2 for quite some time, near the beginning, before i really started doing crazy things and the corals were fine.. it was me that was not fine.. now is the time to stop everything and concentrate on only one course of action..
knowing your p is a good thing but knowing it compared to n i think is even more important. this allows you to use one against the other when employing a carbon source.. i very much like the vinegar/kalk combo.. can be very effective at lowering p, providing you have a little n in your system
feel free to throw up your numbers if you want any help..
I'm still climbing up the learning curve but I had awesome coloration on a coral that is thought to be sensitive to high P that went from this:

to this

over 5 days and at the same time my Alk started to rise and the tank completely lost any stability I thought it had. Once I finally tested P and N I was at .2 P and 10 N. I still have no idea if that was the problem or if it was something else. So far I've only lost 2 small frags and any STN appears to have stopped, but I'm not confident it's over. I'm running GFO in a reactor for the first time in my 3 years of reefing and I'm honestly not sure where to stop or what to reset too.

I definitely agree that once damage is evident it's already happened. Zombie acros.

Sorry for junking up your thread with pics but thanks for asking.