View Single Post
Unread 08/22/2017, 12:14 AM   #1
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Slightly Wide 500 Gallon Reef Tank

Hi All,

I figured I'd finally start a build thread on here of the current reef tank build. First I want to start by saying thank you to everyone for the support, advice, and opinions that have been shared. I find this group to be extremely helpful.

Next, a little history on why I got into reef tanks and started this build. I grew up on a sailboat in Honolulu Hawaii. I was a beach bum and probably should of gone to school. Instead, I went to the beach everyday and ended up dropping out. Shortly after, I decided to move away from home to get my act together. I moved to Houston Texas for a job and have been here ever since. Offcourse I missed home and many years ago I decided to start a standard and very thin 55 gallon. This was my attempt to bring paradise to Houston. I never liked the look of it, as my aquascaping options were pretty much non existent. Within 6 months I convinced myself to buy a reef ready 105. This gave me more depth and my aquascaping options opened up a bit. The tank was up and running about a year but unfortunatly my housing situation put an abrupt stop on the hobby I grew to enjoy. My landlord did not like the idea of a fish tank in his house and understandably so. For the last few years I've planned on a large tank but I was unsure of when I could actually build one since I've been renting. Well 6 months ago I finally bought my first house and with the support of my wife, I decided it was time to build the tank I've been dreaming about. I've had to make some large concessions to get her full support haha but I was finally able to sell her on it.

Now to the build! I've always like tanks with a lot of depth. To me they seemed more natural and gave the true appearence of having a real slice of the ocean in your living room. Steve Weist's and the Triton Reef Tank were always inspirations to what I was hoping on creating.

Customaquariums.com
72"L x 69"W x 24"T
3/4" glass tank with aluminum trim

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote