View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2017, 04:50 PM   #12
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo57 View Post
disco effect is aesthetics.. There is no scientific reason to care..

not meaning to pick on you per se.. just a random thought..

Secondly you can solve all blending problems by "proper" phosphor contents on a rb pump (or better yet a violet one) diode..
That is a manuf design choice.

As to shading and killing branches. that will be detrimental to a coral form not function or possibly even growth

An aesthetic issue..
"Disco" is a visible effect of uneven spectrum. In the wild a colony is receiving the same spectrum all over. While I can not say that it harms a coral it certainly is not natural. I hate to reference the BRStv videos but they have certainly shown that even with clusters like the hydra (that exhibit disco on the sand) there can be large variance from point to point in the tank. This is made worse with the panel design and made better by using tightly clustered LED's in a single lense or reflector(see kessil or GHL mitras) or diffusion like the phillips coralcare.

For your second I would love someone to come out with a RGB phosphor on a violet pump in a 14 - 16 K color temp. That would be great but it looks like current offerings in areas like high end photography and art lighting is only low powered. I would guess we are still having problems pumping the higher energy violet through phosphor coatings at high power or there is no other commercial use to develop it.

The third I am going to say I disagree. One of the biggest arguments against LED compared to MH/T-5 is how hard it is to keep the base and lower branches alive. Dying coral falls firmly in the "coral health" argument from the OP.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote