View Single Post
Unread 06/27/2016, 07:33 AM   #3837
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acromaniac View Post
Hi taricha

I want to run some tests on dino's myself. Can you please tell me what conditions you leave the beaker in, do I have to keep them at reef temperatures? and how do you light the beakers.

Thanks
[Edit: everything seems to do fine at room temperature.]
Depends. Most of what I'm doing is just tests of 1 to 4 days, and for that I simply put the dino sample with tank water in the beaker and either put it next to my sump to be lit that way 20hr/day, or in a cabinet for total darkness, or next to sunny window for intense, but natural period sunlight.

After about four days in stagnant beaker water the dinos start to get overrun by other things, to get a culture to hold together longer, some flow or bubbling helps.
Additionally, I believe, but haven't tried it yet, that an ostreopsis culture would thrive if initially treated with .5 to1ml peroxide per liter of sample, because that would leave almost all the ostis unaffected, but basically sterilize the sample of most anything else.
One last thing, I collect the samples by hanging filter floss blowing in front of a powerhead in my tank then wringing out the ostreopsis water out of the filter floss into a beaker.

Here's filter floss blowing in front of powerhead.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote