Thread: Bleach vs Acid
View Single Post
Unread 10/12/2016, 01:30 AM   #611
hitawaah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Lye added to fat will create soap, so I'm not surprised that you saw some issues. I've done that experiment with olive oil. I would rinse the rock very well, and let the skimmer get out the soap, or maybe give it an acid bath, if that didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Thanks, the foam went down after three days and some salt in the water. It has been running clean all day today. The rock was pukani and I did do an acid bath but I feel like it eats away too much rock so I will avoid it in the future. I used swimming pool phosphate remover liquid for 24 hours while I was waiting for the foam to clear away and my last phosphate test showed unreadable amounts. I will let it soak another day and check it again, but it would be nice to think the phosphate is behind me.

That will be an issue that is different for every person, like I said I'm still dosing phosfree and using 10 micron filter socks to catch any free phosphates that bind with the phosfree. My pukani was fresh never been cleaned until I bought it so I had to do all the work and hopefully it won't leach phosphates into DT causing major algae problems. Like I said though acid washing pukani you lose a lot of rock. GL

hitawaah is offline   Reply With Quote