View Single Post
Unread 03/07/2016, 08:35 PM   #22
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougareyes View Post
It cracks me up when people think the salt mix is like cake batter and need to mix up the dry salt mix, like you could really could mix up separated elements equally. All the salt mix I've ever used started out as a liquid; whether natural, synthetic, or enhanced. Then it is evaporated which makes each granular a complete saltwater chain, the elements do not separate. If you purchase salt mix that is of separate elements you would have to mix the entire batch for it to usable. Anyone that gives you information about rolling a bucket around or shaking up the salt mix to mix is just to cover up poor quality control. Most of the time we add to the inconsistency and precipitation by the way we mix and test our own water.
Sorry, but that is wrong. Salt that is gathered through drying is not complete. Saltmixes that we buy is added to and attempts to meet some kind of objective. Some are to meet natural saltwater parameters. Some for corals. Etc. Which is why most all saltmix brands we buy vary from one another on one and often way more then one element.

And yes, stratification can, has, and does occur.

Here's a start for something to read.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote