View Single Post
Unread 12/11/2011, 12:15 PM   #17
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
If what they posted is correct, it would add copper to my tank system (the last time I measured copper, around 10-15 ppb), but not to tank with substantially higher copper.
If I understand you correctly Randy:

If the manufacturer of the Polyfilter adds copper to prevent it from reducing copper below say 30 ppb and if the tank water is below this level, then the copper in the Polyfilter will go into the tank water, increasing the copper level until the copper in the Polyfilter is exhausted or reaches the 30 ppb level. If the copper in the polyfilter becomes exhausted, will it pull more copper out at that point and reduce the tank copper level below the 30 ppb level? Would there be potentially a significant amount of copper in this Polyfilter? Is the copper in the polyfilter chelated or in the ionic form? Personally, I don't understand this copper balancing procedure in a polyfilter & if chelated copper and ionic copper can come to a total copper equilibrium or if it is an equilibrium of just ionic copper forms and how the different organic forms of copper can come to an equilibrium (I hope this makes sense).

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 12/11/2011 at 12:53 PM.
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote