View Single Post
Unread 01/05/2018, 01:39 PM   #18
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Interesting discussion on Chromis groups and I'm happy that it's gone beyond the usual "it works!" "no it doesn't!" bickering.

I've kept groups of chromis many times in many tanks. Sometimes it's been smaller than the magic numbers mentioned here, but only in very large tanks. I accept the logic presented here, and I'm wondering if this forms a second "how to get it to work" argument - small groups can work, in large tanks. Medium sized tanks need the larger number per the above post.

I recently tried to keep 3 in a small tank and I had my first ever chromis failure. Two of them are now living in (separate) sump compartments, they got there on their own by jumping into the overflow trying to avoid fights with the dominant fish. The dominant fish is still in the display. In 25ish years of reefkeeping, this is the first time I've had significant aggression.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote