Thread: Preparing Rock
View Single Post
Unread 02/07/2017, 11:03 PM   #5
Goubli
Registered Member

This is an interesting write up. My current situation is I got about 65-70 pounds of Tonga with most of it borderline unusable due to shapes. I got it out of a tank that was shutting down, but it was infested with large bobbit worms which I did not want.

I dried the rock out in the sun for a few days then let it sit dry in a container for a few weeks. I started to cure it last week and did one 50% water change after about 3 days just due to smell. Ammonia as of yesterday was around 0.75.

I ordered dry pukani and Fiji and now have that in my possession. I haven't started to cure it yet. I'm trying to figure out when is the best time to superglue it together for aquascaping. Is it before it gets wet?

My plan was to probably get the bulk of the curing done out in the garage and then move the rock into the display (acting like a large water change) & then finish it in there with my skimmer running. It's been probably 12 years since I've had to do this process, so I'm trying to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm not really putting much (essentially zero) lighting on the rock until it would go in the display. I realize I'll need to add some live sand and at least one or two "live" rocks to the mix to get it going, right?

When should I add this? What alterations should I make?

Goubli is offline   Reply With Quote