View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2012, 12:53 PM   #12
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

TKE...if I may? This is not directed at you and I know you understand this but perhaps it is not very well known and could be a perfect time to bring this back to the attention of all.

I am medicated currently and my thoughts do not flow well, bear with me and correct anything that needs correcting. (I hate pain pills)

The toxins can be found in the slime that the Paly's use to protect themselves from drying or as defense and these toxins can be atomized and steam is a very easy way to get in trouble with them, as is draining a tank and leaving the rock covered in Zoa or Paly's, the toxins can be released and if you stick your head in the empty tank you can inhale them. Open wounds are also an easy way to get the toxins into the bloodstream. None of this is to say that these creatures are killers out to get you, but they do have a good defense weapon. Safe handling is always called for any time you are working on the tank.

If you are fragging Zoa's or Paly's you should always wear gloves and use eye protection. A very good friend of mine was fragging Zoa's and some juice squirted up and got him in the eye, 12 hours later he was convulsing and vomiting and was taken to the ER. He was ok once the Dr's learned that he was exposed to palytoxins and treated him accordingly but most inland hospitals do not expect to find palytoxins so they may not be ready to help, if anyone with a reef tank winds up in the hospital, be sure that you alert them to the possible exposure to palytoxins. Some people are also more sensitive to them than others, wear protection when working on the tank.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote