View Single Post
Unread 02/25/2016, 10:48 AM   #1
markmdill
Registered Member

Quietest Return Pump Waveline DC6000 vs. Ecotech Vectra M1

My desk is a few feet from my tank. I have a Reefer 450 and the Rio+3100 was too loud, so I researched and switched to a Waveline DC6000. Much better! but still, the most audible sound was the low whine of the pump. I'd unplug it and hear the skimmer and water trickling through the system, that's what I wanted to hear.

So... more research and decided to try the Ecotech Vectra M1.

First, 75% quieter, I wish I had a dB meter to say 'how quiet' it is. But I can say that with the doors closed, I hear the water trickle first, the skimmer 2nd, and when I unplug the M1 I can barely hear a difference. My PC has a small fan that runs all the time, its very quiet, and I now hear that again....

Second, the M1 at 50% setting is equal to the Waveline DC6000 at the 3rd from highest setting (I'd guess about 90% power). So, M1 moves more water by a lot.

Both are controllable by the Apex, which I have, but I can't compare on this because I haven't connected the Apex to either pump. On a Reefer there isn't much need to alter water flow on the return pump, so not sure I'll add it in. I posted a video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCC6V1GgrGY

markmdill is offline   Reply With Quote