View Single Post
Unread 10/13/2017, 10:43 AM   #14
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Simplicity didn't test their skimmer noise, not sure why they won't. But I got a new replacement pump to try. The new pump is pretty silent, though still louder than my VarioS-4 and 2.

But when I add in the air, it gets pretty loud. I guess this is impossible to avoid with needlewheel type skimmers? I'm at about 60 decibels next to the skimmer now with it on full blast.

Maybe I'm too sensitive. But if you're reading 58 with yours, it's probably just me.

What pump power level are you on? And how much air (approximately) are you letting in? And what's your wedge pipe set to?
I'm running the controller on full speed, air is about half (break in instructions said to keep it 100% open but that gave me bubbles all the way up the neck), and wedge pipe is 100% open, again per the break-in guide. I was playing with the air valve a little just to see what I could get it to pull out after only an hour and I got some nice beige skimmate, which was sand dust, so I'm pretty optimistic about the overall performance.

I also went with the simplicity DC return pump, 2100 GPH model, and that truly is silent. That was the first thing I started up and I honestly can't hear even a hum.

I started my cycle this morning, using Dr. Tim's One and Only, so the skimmer will be shut down for 48 hours. I'm anxious to see what it might pull out next week once the water clears. I will probably start to ghost feed a tiny bit on Tuesday pending Nitrites are gone.

MMOORE0324 is offline   Reply With Quote