View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2017, 05:22 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The safety factors I've stated are whats considered "very safe" by most standards..

Companies/individuals can certainly choose a smaller safety factor as 1x is technically all that needed (in a perfect world) according to the math to ensure that the stress/strains placed on the glass do not exceed their limit/breaking point..
But nothing is perfect and you build in safety factor to ensure that if there is a slight thickness difference in the glass or that this run of glass has some impurities that effect its overall mechanical properties are reduced, or whatever don't cause a failure to occur..

And the calculations for a tank are 100% about the glass and have nothing to do with the silicone used.. Its all about the properties of the glass..

Now I will say that the plastic trim absolutely adds strength because its not just a flat piece of plastic in one plane.. its designed such that there a few "jogs" to it to strengthen it in multiple directions.. Once its restrained by the glass/silicone in the other directions it takes a considerable amount of force to deflect it horizontally.. Many of them also have a "strap" built in that goes front to back and may have multiples depending on the tank length.. That adds a ton of strength..

I bought a 120G 6ft tank from someone that removed the trim because they wanted a rimless tank.. When you sighted down the tank from the end the glass bowed out a good 2-3" on each side or more.. But he had it like that for 2 years and it didn't fail.. But it was bowed out a crap load and no way in hell I would put that in my house.. I sure as heck did not give him asking price after pointing all that out.. and got it dirt cheap..

I took it and replaced the rim and there was ZERO bow to the glass after.. So yes.. the plastic trim does add strength and prevent the glass from bowing quite a bit.. A lot more than you think clearly...

Use 3/8" if rimless or 1/4" and eurobrace it..