View Single Post
Unread 01/31/2008, 11:16 AM   #1
JSM
Premium Member

Cirolanid Isopods

Hi Brian,

I just read your article on ispods and have a few questions. I set up a 300g tank about 3 years ago and soon after thought I saw an isopod on my naso tang. I looked for many nights after that and saw nothing so I assumed maybe I got lucky and he died or got eaten by something. I need to tell you that I feed the 300g tank several hours before the lights come on so I can go to work. These are all big healthy fish who are willing to eat whether the lights are on or not. Tuesday morning after I fed the tank I was looking in and saw that the Chevron tang had something on him, well it was isopods. I have not added anything to this system to have brought new isopods into this tank, have they been there this whole time and not killed anything? Could they be more scavenger than parasitic or do they have an incredibly long domant period and are now breeding? This is not a full blown reef tank, it has 8 very large anemones that I have had for years and a few soft corals that the angels and butterflies won't eat. I have noticed that before feeding there are few if any isopods that I can find on fish but after feeding there are several. I'm assuming the food brings them out. I am willing to try Interceptor to eradicate them, I have talked with several professional aquarists who feel the anemones would probably be ok but I need a little help in converting grams to ppm. What does 0.081g convert to in ppm? He wanted to know ppm before he helped me any further. I just can't believe they have been there this whole time and haven't killed anything. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Janna

JSM is offline   Reply With Quote