View Single Post
Unread 12/09/2003, 11:52 AM   #12
liverock
RC Sponsor

Looks Strange?

Quote:
Originally posted by delta
got my live sand with a 130 pound package as soon as i put it in there were worms every where. As soon as i could see tons of life came out of the sand worms pods hermits snailsand i also have a cucumber as well.
only thing about TBS live sand is it is alot of crushed shells so it look very different from most sand.
as you can see in this picture
We get the same questions about our live sand almost every day....why does it look so differant from what I see on the stores shelf?

Why is it not bright white?

Why are there shells, clams, hermits and coraline bits in it?"

Our live sand may look strange to you......But our sand is the real thing, collected from the base of the reef and made up of the reef itself, which is why it is so alive.

Unfortunately what yall see up north as "live sand" in a bag is nothing more than crushed coral, crushed a little more. Thus you get the impression that "live Sand" should be white and pristine looking, nothing could be further from the truth.

How can sand in a bag on a stores shelf be alive?

Easy, toss some bacteria in it and it can be called "live sand", which it is, but not what I would put in my aquarium, I like the benefits of the myriad amounts of life that occur in real live sand collected from the ocean.

When you go diving in the Gulf on a reef, what do you see?

Substrate that is made up of corallines, shells, corals, rocks, worms, hermits, pods, and zillions of other live critters you can, and cannot see with your naked eye, but never the less full of life.

It is not bright white, clean as you see live sand in a bag, as if it was it would not be so alive with animals.

Reefers have an impression of live sand as that is what you see in stores if it is not collected from the ocean.

Sand in a bag is fine, but real live sand is much better, is like Volkswagens and Cadillac's, both do the same thing, one does it better.

If you want your reef tank to be as close to the natural ocean environment, use what mother nature does. real live sand and live rock and the critters that live in the natural reef.

I recently sent some sand to Dr. Ron for evaluation, he can give you a more scientific evaluation of real live sand benefits.

Thanks!
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote