View Single Post
Unread 05/23/2012, 01:26 AM   #1071
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWF View Post
Hi Dennis, Ceasar,

Thank you so much for your inputs.

I actually managed to get hands on some heatsinks... 1.5 inch x .5 Inch with 5 fins.
That gives me 1.5 x 2.5 inches of surface. These are 4 feet in length.

My plan is to have 6 channels with 12 led's on each channel. Each channel is 48 inches in lenght.

The tank is 48 inches long with 2 inches euro braces on the ends and a 2 inch brace in the center. The 2 braces at the end will reduce the lighting area by 4 inches length wise. That will give me 44 inches of open space on the surface of the tank lenght wise.

With the above details following are my questiosn :
1) Is it advisable to cut the heatsinks to 44 inches since the reduction lenght will reduce the total weight.!
If your cutting 4" off of them that is negligable for weight and your just making more work for yourself than you need.

Quote:
2) What would be the ideal spacing between two LEDS..!
Ideal is simple even distribution over the entire tank. With your heat sink you need 16 inches square of surface are per LED minimum without fans. So measure the crosse section of your heat sinks and duvide that into 16 to get the minimum spacing.

Quote:

3) Is it possible to mix blue and white leds.. have six blue and six white on a single channel driven by a single driver... the LED's I am going to use are XP-G R5 LEDs CW and XP-E RB..!
Both the XP-e and XP-g's are rated to run at 1,000 ma now. So this mixing should not be an issue. But there will be a slight difference in actual voltage across each LED type since they are not 100% identical electricaly. but they are close enough not to be an issue as long as yur friver is set for 1050 ma or less.

Quote:

i will be back with more questions....

Thanks again for all your help !

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote