View Single Post
Unread 05/08/2012, 07:24 AM   #23
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colione View Post
True. But do you know exactly what is happening with the oxidation when your magnets rust?If we know the composition of the magnet we can tell what's going on, ecotech should be able to tell you all the different metals in the magnet Do you know exactly the materials and metals being released as this rusts?

I'd say this is the equivalent of finding a rusted pipe outside and throwing it in your tank. Who knows what's on it!Harsh comparison, if you know the kind of the pipe you can tell the metals in it but coming from outside there might be other stuff like chemicals

You can't just say "oh well, it's rust, it's good for the tank"True and I'm not saying that None of us have any idea what that magnet is made out ofEcotech should be able to tell you, and as the chemical reaction occurs for that rust to form, some of it is being released into the water.
My reference to the rust had to do with your high phosphates, which bind to rust so I don't believe the rust is the cause of the high phosphates. It can definitively be the cause of the corals dying but for other reasons.
I'm sure ecotech will take care of the pump, but it sucks you have lost some corals.

From the pics it looks like something was trapped between the magnet and the back cover scratching the back cover (visible in the pic) and the rubber coat on the magnet (not visible in the pic) to the point where the magnet was exposed and rusted.

Hope everything in the tank improves, run some GAC and do large WC.