View Single Post
Unread 12/26/2012, 11:44 PM   #85
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Here we go:

Yesterday, Christmas Day, I took my kids to the beach to search for polyps and have fun. Of course fun to them equals to find polyps daddy doesn't have yet!!! Good kids!!!

We didn't collect anything, just looked around the polyps, but nothing new and we had to touch the rocks to make sure we wouldn't fall because they were really slippery with algae. Just don't bring the hands in the mouth and eyes, right?

They had some renovations going on in the beach's bathroom/showers and we simply "washed" our hands in the ocean before we came to the car.

My oldest apparently touched one of the rocks with Protopalythoa spp. and Zoanthus spp. and perhaps somehow had his hand/fingers in his mouth.

Last night he began to feel some small pain in the roof of the mouth.
It is a little swollen and sore with round reddish marks now.
I've asked him to describe the taste, if so, and he said "metal". He is still a little dizzy, but doesn't feel too bad at all. He eats, drinks and act very normal, thank God!

Just one more example here!!

My kids know very well about zoas and they are reminded every single time we go out to search for polyps!!! While he was touching the rocks, the toxin found it's way. No cuts/wounds! The biggest problem was probably not to wash the hands really well with fresh water afterwards, like we do all the time before getting in the car!!!!

Be very, very careful!!!!

After this I'm seriousply considering about having my little ones around during those special trips!!!
Too bad! They enjoy so much!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote