View Single Post
Unread 12/22/2017, 11:26 PM   #1
lapoza
Registered Member

A couple questions on ICH

Hello all,

I ran a 150 gallon reef tank back in 2000 for around a year before I left the military, Always wanted to get back into the hobby and our business recently bought a building that had a 265 gallon tank from the previous owners. We moved the tank and got it up and going and after a couple weeks added some Chromis. Around a week later I added 2 clownfish. We got around 200 pound of rock with it from the previous owners but added around 75 more of live rock from a LFS when setting it up. The tank had sat empty for 3 years so all the previous rock was dead.

So moving on to Wednesday I decided to buy a Naso tang from a LFS in another town and I followed the hour long acclimation procedure. I did not have a QT tank setup so we just did the acclimation. The Tang has immediatly started eating, exploring the tank, found his hiding spots. he acts like he has always been in the tank. this afternoon I noticed he had 3 very tiny little white specks on him. I will check him again in the morning but my questions I suppose are as follows.

If a tank has been Ich free for 75 days, is it possible for a fish in that tank to develop ICH if nothing new is added? From what I am reading on the disease it has a maximum lifespan of the 70 day range if it doesnt find a host. So my thinking is if a tank has been going strong for 4 months with no ICH, and a fish gets stressed it is not possible for that fish to get ICH?

next question is if tomorrow this is indeed ICH on the Naso I plan on getting a QT tank setup quickly to remove him and treat, but if the chromis and Clowns dont have ICH is it necessary to QT them as well?

lapoza is offline   Reply With Quote