View Single Post
Unread 03/06/2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Doubledown
Registered Member

Blue Face Angel in a reef tank - any experience?

I acquired 2 angels last night - a Blue Face and a Passer for my FOWLR. Since they are different species (the 5.5" Blue Face is Euxiphipops and the 4" Passer is Holacanthus) and the Blue Face is bigger, I thought they would be ok together if added at the same time.

I apparently was wrong. Since the lights came on at noon (abou 2 hours ago) the Passer has been repeatedly attacking the bigger Blue Face. My fiance called me in a panick, fearing that the Passer would kill the other fish. I have removed the Blue Face to my refugium and seek some advice on what to do next.

I have read of some success with the larger angels in a reef tank (re: current tank of the month) and was thinking of putting the shyer Blue Face in my SPS dominated 180 gallon reef. I fear only for the few zoas and possibly th 2 LPS (elegance in particular) that are in the reef now. The other fish in the reef are:

Duesemeri Tang (4")
Cheveron Tang (3.5")
Regal Tang (3.5")
Wantannabei Angel
Mystery Wrasse
Biocellatus Wrasse
Flame Hawkfish
Longnose Hawkfish
Scooter Blenny

What else should I worry about? The reef has about 25 SPS colonies (Acros, Monties, etc.), a Banded Coral Shrimp, various snails and hermits, a sea cuke and lots of fan worms and sponges (those I expect will be food for the angel.

I really would like to decide on this by tonight (my refugium is only a 20 gallon) and I am leaning toward trying to keep her in the reef.

Any experience or educated advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote