View Single Post
Unread 09/17/2012, 06:07 PM   #80
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post
My concern is obviously nitrate. This is the first time we've had an elevated reading of nitrate. Do we need to do a partial water change? The water hasn't yet been changed in the QT, but all levels have remained in check thus far. Thanks for the help!

-Matt
Hi Matt.
Nitrates are not a huge concern for fish in such low range. they wont be a problem till they start getting above 75ppm.
I am under the assumption that you placed few pieces of LR from ur existing tank. If so then nitrates is from the cycle the bacteria u imported with ur rock.
this is a good sign as bacteria is processing ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrates. Nitrates is always the last part of the cycle and it wont get exported out unless done manually with means of skimmer, denitrator, water changes etc.
But to answer ur question: its not enough to worry at this point. keep doing ur regular water changes as u do on weekly basis and dont let the nitrates climb above 30-40ppm.
If you dont see reduction in nitrates via regular water changes and u reach that 40ppm mark then start doing emergency larger water changes along with regular water changes.
hope this helps.

EDIT: it skipped my mind, lol getting old i guess... as nitrates increase chances for algae increases so keep up with weekly water changes and see if nitrates remain there but if they dont and start climbing do more frequent water changes unless u dont care scrubbing algea.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote