View Single Post
Unread 11/11/2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Unome
Registered Member

I don't have SW tank(yet). But years ago before I got into FW, I was into rose bushes. I had 36 in my yard.

One day taking a shower, I got to wondering, "Is this waste water okay for plants(i.e. my rose bushes)?" I started doing some digging around(this was before the internet) and found out by reading that a lot of people would spray soapy water on their rose bushes and the bugs didn't like the soapy taste and leave bushes alone. So I started plugging the drain in the tub when I took a shower. After I finished(would rinse feet after getting out), I would run a hose from the tub, out the window, start a siphon and let as much water as possible drain from tub into the rose bushes.

I did this over a period of about 6 months when weather was warm(being in Georgia that was about 9 months of the year) for about 3 years. I had rose bushes with leaves as big as my hand and most of my roses were about the size of softballs. I could go out every day and cut about 80 - 100 flowers(the ladies at work loved me). The really plus side to this was I had NO INSECT problems.

The dirty soapy water was being absorbed by the plants, the soap was getting into the plants and bugs fled the scene. Even the Japanese beetles. And it didn't change the smell of the roses.

Finally decided to give it up because I was spending about 2 hrs. a day trimming/pruning/caring for the roses. Even though I gave them to my wife, taking that 2 hrs. away from her was NOT the best idea I had.

Current Tank Info: 125G Planted FW
Unome is offline   Reply With Quote