View Single Post
Unread 05/16/2012, 08:02 PM   #98
C5flyboy
Registered Member

Great question about the drivers, and the same question I have been trying to answer for myself. There are two types of drivers: Analogue and Pulse Wave Modulation. You can use either type of driver for any LED. The difference is in the way their dimming circuitry works. Best thing to do is google the to different types for an explination cause I will just butcher it. Aquastyle sells the analogue type where Rapid sells both. I went with the PWM type and used a Typhoon controller because I didn't want to drop a couple hundred bucks on a reef controller right now.

Now as far as how many led's you can run on a driver it has to do with the forward voltage of the led and I may be wrong but it seems the analogue drivers are able to handle quite a bit more LEDs per driver than the PWM drivers. Like I said Do a google search about the two types of drivers for a far better explination than I can give. I do know(because this is what i'm running) that the Mean Well ELN60-48P driver can only handle 14 LEDs max and you have to have at least 8 or it will fry them.

Each brand of LED is made a little different and has a different amount of power loss across each LED which makes a difference to the total number you can run as well so do some looking into the brand you decide to go with so you will know exactly what you need to get. Also with Aquastyle, Ray is GREAT with customer service so e-mail him from the site with questions about this too and he will definately get you turned the way you need to be going.

C5flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote