View Single Post
Unread 08/05/2008, 04:01 PM   #18
KarlBob
Registered Member

Great thread.

A word of caution: don't put all of your trust in what the employees tell you at the LFS, or in the names they assign to critters.

While many people know that mandarins are hard to keep, they also know that blennies are much easier. Unfortunately, the fish commonly labeled as a "Scooter Blenny" at the LFS is actually a dragonette, a member of the same finicky group as the mandarins. I found this out after I got my new "blenny" home. Luckily, I was able to culture baby brine shrimp until my fuge matured enough to keep the dragonette fed. Unfortunately, many people never realize why their "blennies" starve to death.

Before you buy, even if you don't post in this thread, look up your prospective purchase by as many names as the LFS can tell you. Make sure the pictures match the critter.

Finally, if an old-timer in this thread tells you that your current tank won't sustain X, that doesn't mean you can never have X, and it doesn't mean the old-timers enjoy crushing your dreams. If you have your heart set on a mandarin, or a tang, or even an octopus, chances are someone here can tell you how to prepare a proper home for your heart's desire. It may not happen tomorrow, but when you're ready, your new pet will last much longer.

Current Tank Info: No tanks for now. Starting over in Austin sometime next year.