View Single Post
Unread 11/16/2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Decon Frost
Registered Member

Well, that depends.. If your tank is not overstocked... then I would only feed Live Food twice a week.. Like 3 pieces of myses or artemia the fish...

And I would only add this as candy. The fish will find there own food. BUT usually people will add way to many fish for the bioload of the tank..

Thats why we feed extra. Because our tanks can not sustain the needs of all the fish.

So we have to add food... I won't advise this of course.. because to many fish is the problem, not the need for food.

Of course I also have to many fish... I want something to look at.

So Now we have to find a balance between the food and the filtration system and the need for food.

I am no fan of any kind of dry food... I just don't like it.. after years of experience. I have seen to many tanks bloom in algae after starting with dry food. It has to much crap in it. BUT there are some natural dryed algae that we can add.. This is tricky because usually they are filled with additives that I again don't like. (we don't know exactly what is in there)

So I usually advise a natural dryed algae that comes in sheets.. And I mash it up to small pieces.

I add this once, sometimes twice a week.. (reduce life food when starting with dryed food!!!!!) But still I don't like it...

If this is again a problem... (again getting the algae) Then we have a serious problem. Your tank is not able to handle the bioload of the fish and the food...

Next solution is to filter more.. And this will cost money.

Its all in the balance...
Problems mostly start with to many fish that NEED to much food... So you can figure out what to do in your tank....

Decon Frost is offline   Reply With Quote