View Single Post
Unread 09/15/2012, 12:04 PM   #68
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post
How often do I need to do water changes in my 10g QT? All levels check out, so I think we're going to get our first 2 fish tonight (pair of clowns). Just wanted to check out the water change situation.

-Matt
Matt did you cycle the QT like a normal tank. if you did then it probably will get away with once a week 3gal water change, But i would keep an eye on the parameters when u put the first 2 fish as if bacteria is not enough u might see a a very small ammonia spike that would go away in few days and in that time u may need to change few gals. but after that u will be ok with 3gal per week or maybe 4-5gal every 2 weeks.
Remember 10 is a small tank small body of water and qt usually dont have state of art filteration so water changes is the only thing that prevents organics to build up.

If you didnt cycle it then u will have to change water every day to everyother day depending on how much bio load is in the tank. in such situation i will check ammonia everyday and if u see any sign either do large water changes or use products like prime/amqual/ammonolock etc. to neutralize ammonia.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote