View Single Post
Unread 03/27/2014, 10:35 PM   #51
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I went online to find info specific to the species I want to grow in my tank - Syringodium filiforme or Manatee Grass. Why I didn't do this in the first place is unknown…

Here's what I read in various articles/studies:

This plant is adaptable to different substrates - from soft, black mud to firm sand. One study said its' favored substrate is very soft, loose, muddy sand.

It is absent in areas of poor water quality. Increased eutrophication harms it and favors opportunistic macroalgae and detrivores, such as polychaetes.

It is more sensitive to salinity changes than other seagrasses and maximum growth rate occurs at 25 ppt (parts per thousand). This seems rather low in comparison to the ocean's average of 35 ppt.

It favors strong currents as evidenced by more luxurient growth in tidal channels compared to quiet lagoons.

Optimum growth rates occur at light intensities of 200-450 foot candles (or 2152.78 - 4843.76 lumens per square meter) Growth rate is greatly reduced above and below this range.

50 - 60% of its' biomass is underground. Higher root biomass relative to leaf biomass indicates plant adaptation that increases nutrient uptake through increased root surface area in low nutrient sediments. Fertilization of the substrate with nitrogen and phosphorus (plant tabs) increased root and leaf biomass.

Favoring nutrient uptake by roots or by leaves appears to be concentration (or bioavailability) - dependent.

It's limited by nitrogen in terrigenous substrates and phosphorus in carbonate substrates.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote