View Single Post
Unread 03/24/2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great info Secondbest, thanks. I see how you are going through your new tank situation with a heavy nutrient load - a tricky situation!

I hope to avoid the nutrient heavy water in the beginning by not adding fish or curing live rock in the tank. So this tank will be a bit different than a new reef tank or fish only setup. I agree I shouldn't expect explosive seagrass growth at first. I've just got to be patient.

I really learned a lot from the "Old Favorites" threads. Some of those grass and macro folks had little to no fish loads, so they were dosing nutrients, which of course seems insane to reef keepers! Adjusting the ratio of nitrate to phosphate is pretty mind-blowing stuff. Have your read any of those threads?

Since you said you have near zero nitrate, but still nutrient-heavy water, maybe your N to P ratio is off. Maybe you should consider cranking up the nitrate factory to help your plants export the phosphate.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote