View Single Post
Unread 05/18/2017, 09:34 AM   #2581
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
And Humans also eat Ulva??? If it tastes good, my wife will be very pleased to hear this. She wishes I would go freshwater so we can grow hydro plants for our own consumption. If there is a marine option she'll be happy to hear it. :0)
Yes, and it is not the only one. Definitely growable for a one-household hydroponic show. Most consumed algae are cold-water species (e.g. no saltwater stores sell bladderwrack, kelp, etc but I could get live samples for my tank from maine or english food stores)
http://www.eattheweeds.com/category/sea-weed/

Anyway yeah the guy I got was so tiny he was hiding in the smallest pores of rock. He was just the size of the caudal fins of my other fish. I debated raising him in my sump but I didn't want him to jump out.. I suppose he is a goner because he doesn't come out for food but in my new tank (which I haven't shared on here yet), I have an 18x24 area of elaborate rockwork so I wouldn't be totally surprised if he were alive, feeding on pods. I should look into how self-sufficient they are.

The fish eating my caulerpa are my starry blenny and matted filefish. they go to town eating the blades. I thought it was inadvertent feeding on pods at first, because my twinspot goby spends most of his time eating pods at the base of algae. But after watching, it seems that they like the taste of algae.

Good to see your halimeda growing too. My opuntia died out last time but it seems to be taking this time around.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote