View Single Post
Unread 03/09/2017, 11:37 PM   #2953
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Tank Update (Partial)

I can't believe how long it has been since I have updated this thread or have been on Reef Central!

My tank has been doing amazing! There have been a few trials and tribulations over the last couple years - like when I forgot to shut off my doser controlling my Alkalinity for 48 hours or when I didn't notice a pump went out in my refugium. I also had to remove my sunburst anemones from my tank as they started to terrorize a few of my more precious colonies. Unfortunately, they would not come out easily.

I have had to do a lot of trimming, fragging and removal of corals - as many of my tabling acros started creating too much shade for other colonies below them.

I made some equipment changes as well. O2manyfish convinced me to go with a DaStaco Calcium reactor and eliminate dosing. But then recently, I decided to add a couple of the Apex Dosers and start dosing Triton Core7 products. It's only been a few days, so time will tell. I am very optimistic though!!! I had my Ozone Reactor die on me last year along with the pump on my sand reactor. I have not replaced either yet and have noticed an increase in some algae on my glass. I have to wipe my glass one to two more times weekly then in the past. I plan on replumbing my sand reactor in the next few weeks. I have also made a reactor/feeder to dose my main tank with live pods, brine shrimp and phytoplankton on a daily basis. It's essentially an old Kalk Stirrer from Avast that I modified with a light, air stone and dosing pump. It will hold a gallon plus of pods/shrimp.

As soon as I can find someone with great camera skills, I will post some pictures and perhaps an updated video!

Rest assured, I am still in love with the hobby and am enjoying my tank as much as I did 5 years ago. I will try to answer the questions recently posted shortly or any others that any of you may have.

Happy Reefing!