View Single Post
Unread 01/23/2009, 09:43 PM   #105
teamdulski
The Saltiest!

Alright went to Leslie's today at Bailey and Sheridan and found it under the Natural Chemistry "Phos-Free" name. I had a great conversation with either the very informed manager or maybe owner who knew a lot about Lanthanum. She asked my use and I told her, and she can sense I was a little uneasy because it wasn't exactly sea-clear and it doesn't clearly state on the bottle the ingredients. She then informed me that it was Lanthanum. She proceeded to tell me that the Buffalo Zoo buys it in bulk from her to control algae in any display they have involving water, especially their sea otter area that apparently was taken from a green mess to crystal clear in less than 2 weeks using this very product. She then informed me (and this would explain why Gary harps on the 10 micron bag) that the way it works is that it attaches to fibers (filter material) and phosphates bond to it as they float by.

As for my treatment I stuffed all my baffles with filter floss, and then stuffed some more to make as much area for lanthanum -- phosphate interaction as possible with no pass through. I dripped what I would call 0.2oz over a 45 minute period into my overflows and watched my skimmer go nuts and tuned accordingly. Obviously lights are off but with moonlights on it within 10 minutes triggered my candy canes to put out their feeders. No visible difference in my clams.

Will report back with more Sunday night.

Gary if one drips it into the overflow what would be the point of diluting it?

Current Tank Info: 34 gal solana, gen 2 radion, MP-10, Reef Octopus HOB
teamdulski is offline   Reply With Quote