View Single Post
Unread 04/02/2017, 01:41 PM   #1410
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefifd View Post
Hi…
I'm not sure where to turn with this question.

I’ve used (seaklear) lanthanum chloride to cut down on my tanks green hair algae. I continue to monitor for phosphates and drip 3ml of lanthanum chloride in 2 quarts of RO/DI water into a 10 micron sock as needed.

Now I have a question about the remnants of GHA when it subsides. How long does it take for the rock to show thru again, I have a brownish slim covering over much of the rock where it was covered with the green hair algae.

Does anyone have a solution? I’ve tried scrubbing with a brush, not much luck with that.

I’m also considering taking out the rock and replacing it with live rock, maybe from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

if you want to act fast and not wait for it naturally then you can always pull some rock out and let it sit dry for few days or even bleach it then dry it for atleast 2-3 days then rinse, back in tank. this process will kill the live rock and put it back to dry rock state. do that over few weeks with all the rocks. only pull 25% at a time and give it atleast 1 week to recover in tank before pulling other 25% and on.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote