View Single Post
Unread 11/09/2017, 02:51 PM   #9
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Well, I'd even be happy with something as simple as a Vero "blue" since they are such quality and affordable arrays, but it's just dreams right now.

In a perfect world, we could get the bare emitters mounted up like a k16 just with a variety of wavelengths, similar to the "dream chip" but with real, honest, quality emitters. The ones LED group buy sell are nice, but have some limitations, as well as being exorbitantly expensive for what they are.

Back on the current build, however, this is sort of a proof of concept for later builds that will be able to be scaled up for larger tanks, and for use on display as well as propagation type rigs. While doing more reading, I decided I want to eventually try out a couple other whites, and may even experiment with warmer whites, and maybe even supplement of "far red" to play with the Emerson effect. Looking back through my search for good whites I found myself considering the Luxeon "crisp white" arrays. They start around the same price point as the Citizen and Luminus offerings, and have the added feature of having a large amount of violet built in-

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...416-1939-5-ND/

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...416-1941-5-ND/

They still have the characteristic trough around 475-480nm, but are a 90CRI typical array, and available in a 3000k only. These would likely be an excellent choice for tanks that are meant to have a more "white" type of color (the "natural look" that shallow water usually has) and would be a nice way to go for an SPS or Clam (or even macroalgae, look at that huge peak at 630nm!) rig, although I think it might take some more cyan and cool blue to keep it from looking too pink or purple.

I just ordered another set of five k16 royal blue to play with a few days ago, and I'm considering grabbing a pair of the "crisp white" to play with too. I'm also looking around for other 3000-4500k whites in the 10-20w range, if anybody has suggestions in a single chip/COB solution.

I've been especially eyeing the Luxeon "freshfocus" series, some interesting arrays there, but mainly for the "fresh fish" as a good base for a freshwater build.

I think that the "fresh fish" and "marbled meat" would be the ultimate pair to run over macroalgae and chaeto reactors, with that huuuuuge peak at 650nm of the "marbled meat" array...

Last edited by lingwendil; 11/09/2017 at 03:11 PM.
lingwendil is offline   Reply With Quote