View Single Post
Unread 01/17/2018, 09:53 PM   #325
Maroonmom13
Registered Member

Maroon specific behavior and pairing

Ok I bought my lightening maroon pair at my LFS (already paired) and one was larger than the other. Introduced them to the tank at the same time as they were already paired. At the time, we had a BTA that had found itself comfy right next to the pump on the back glass. At first the smaller clown made itself right at home in the anemone and would not leave it (all day and night) that lasted for about 2 weeks or so. The larger clown would try and attack the smaller one while in the anemone and it was like he used the anemone as a shield at times.

Then the anemone decided to move... As soon as he moved or basically fell off the back glass we reattached him to the rock. The clowns didn't go near him for almost 2-3 weeks. Since we have introduced another BTA on the other side of the tank hoping they both would have a friend to host. Neither noticed the new BTA and now the female will snuggle in both BTA going from one to the other while the smaller clown floats over in the corner. And it's the opposite side of the tank either at the very bottom at the sand or the very top of the tank where he has stayed for almost a week now. I feel bad for him because I noticed if he tries to go anywhere else the female comes from behind the rock and attacks him. He started looking lighter in color and just fatigued. I finally had to feed him with a dropper just to make sure he was eating since she also attacks if he tries to swim to food.

My ultimate questions... Is this normal even after being paired for 2 months in 20g tank?

Should I put the little guy in a box/ container for a few weeks so he can get his strength back?

If I do quarantine him, could I put one of the BTA in the box with him to acclimate him better or would this stress out the BTA?

TIA for any advice!

Maroonmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote