View Single Post
Unread 05/15/2015, 04:01 AM   #20
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

JBNY will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but he stated in his build thread on page 42 that he was keeping his tank with NO3 at 2.5 ppm and PO4 at 0.01 ppm.

I'm still trying to find the right balance of NO3 to get to where I want to go....which is naturally a stunningly healthy tank that people pay more attention to than a TV. Right now I'll settle for healthy acros and somewhat interesting display.

The cyano has lessened significantly in one tank (40 breeder which is BB), but has not changed too much in the other, (58 gallon which has a sand bed).

So far, most of the corals look healthier and happier. The only exception appears to be my wall hammer which was fine with dirtier water. It was moved within the last two weeks, so that might account for its unhappiness...its getting more flow where its at now, but it cannot attack my duncans where it's currently at either...

I tested the water again yesterday at about 330 pm which was about 24 hours after the last test and dose of NO3.

NO3 was now at about 0.2 ppm (its a judgement call with the kind of test where you compare the color to a printed sheet you hold next to the sample....I hate those. I much prefer the other style of Salifert test kits where you add drops of reagent until the color changes. Much easier than trying to determine varying degrees of pink against a white back ground).

PO4 tested out at 0.00 ppm.

So was the PO4 depleted by the chaeto in the reactor in under 24 hours, or was it sucked up by nuisance algae that I'm trying to get rid of?

I dosed 7mls of NO3 this time, down from 8 mls. I want to see if the NO3 level remains about the same, or drops down. I'm fine with keeping it at 0.2 ppm if that means I have a PO4 level of 0.02 ppm.

I also dosed the Iron Manganese solution, added another sheet of nori to the tank, (if the angel keeps being fed, he wont snack on my zoa's or my few LPS).

I'm supposed to be asleep right now....I've been working midnights this past month and I'm transitioning to dayshift today.....

I got off work early and got to bed at about 1230 am. One of the kids woke up at 315 am with a nightmare and couldnt get back to sleep.....Now she's out and I cant get back to sleep....sigh.

Might as well go test water and see what I get after about 14 hours between doses.