View Single Post
Old 07/01/2005, 08:04 PM   #8
halophila
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Samala
If its working for you than I certainly wont be the one to knock it. But I will point out that I was also seeing reddish growth out of Halophila engelmanni.. whole red leaves, no just red spots.. and it looks like a few of your ovalis leaves are this same red-leaf condition. Its from low-nitrogen levels in the tank (or low nitrate). If you were to dose nitrate I'd be curious to see if this goes away as it does with stargrass.

I would love to do the natural seawater route, but I am more than a little wary of the water around here. And not just for pollutant problems. More along the lines of seeing data about how many viruses and bacteria can live in a single drop of coastal ocean water. Call me paranoid.
Sarah, thanks for your info. Right now the H. ovalis is the dominant species. All the other algae do grow, but not as fast as the H. ovalis. I am not sure if supplmenting nitrates may shift this equilibrium or not. I also notice the young red leaves symptom, and if nutrient deficinecy started to affect the mature leaves or slow down the growth rate, I will surely take the nutrient supplement route.

The new tank is almost one month old and the H. ovalis has nearly double in size, so I am quite satisfied with its growth rate.

Lastly.... with bacteria like Vibiro vulinficus and Mycobacterium marinum living in non-polluted sea water, you shouldn't call yourself paranoid I do wear gloves whenever I need to do any tank work. And I won't do any tank maintenace or even touching sea water if I have any small wounds/cuts in my hands. Yes, it is very not common to get those nasty infection, but I don't wanna take the risk either.

halophila is offline   Reply With Quote